Friday, June 25, 2010

Cats

I have two indoor cats. They are exclusively indoor cats and I've had them for a long time. We got them at the Humane Society in Salem approximately 14 years ago.

First came Angel who was needed since I found a mouse. She had been returned to the Humane Society twice before and we were told that if we took her back, it would be the end of her. She wouldn't let me hold her any time I wanted and I wanted a cat that I could hold any time I wanted. I had a dream and dreamed of an orange and white cat. I sent my husband out to look for an orange and white cat and he came home with Thomas. Thomas is perfect. He would let me hold him all day, everyday, if I wanted. He follows me around the house. He loves crunchy cat treats. He mopes around the house if I am gone and gets angry if I am gone for a couple of days. He turns his back on me, refuses to purr, and doesn't lighten up until I've been home for several hours. I found a cure for this pouty behavior. The last two or three times I have left him alone, I have left phone messages that he can hear in the house telling him that I will be home and that I know he has all the food and water he needs and that I love him. It works. He feels connected and is excited to see me when I come home. It helps him not feel so insecure. When he was a kitten, he was left to starve in an abandoned building so I think this is why.

My cats are indoor cats and never go outside. This way they don't eat the wild birds, catch fleas, or get run over. When we went to the Humane Society, they had us sign a paper that said that we would keep them indoors and we agreed. They said that the life of an indoor cat was 12 years or more and the life of an outdoor cat was 3 years. Well, it's true. My cats are 14 years old and counting. They run around the house, love cat treats, are healthy and are fun.

Cats are more independent and maintenance free than dogs. I've been wanting another Basset Hound, a senior Basset Hound but then I remember what it is like to be up in the middle of the night because they have to go outside. Cats are easier. Although I admit that I would be mighty tempted if I saw the saggy, moanful look of a Basset Hound who needed a home. Basset Hounds aren't yappy or drag you along when you go for a walk. They are mellow and easy going. I've always loved Bassets. Maybe someday.........

No comments: