Friday, June 25, 2010

Wild Birds

We feed wild birds at our house and I also try and grow plants that will be food for them. We hang up two hummingbird feeders. We put up two black thistle feeders for the American Goldfinch. We have four sunflower seed feeders for a mix of other birds. We put out a couple of suet cakes a day. We also put out dried corn cobs in a feeder. So we get a lot of birds. We have most of the feeders under the eaves of our house to bring them up close to the window so we can see them. It's so much fun to watch them. I love it and so does my husband.

Right now there are six American Goldfinch on the black thistle feeder next to the window as I am typing. My favorite bird that comes is the Evening Grosbeak. They are so beautiful. My husband thought they were parrots that escaped when he first saw them come to our feeders.

I've heard how the black birds are predators and drive away the other birds. Phooey! If you put out enough food for everyone, there isn't any fighting. I have ravens who come and patrol the yard like sentinels. Ravens are very intelligent and have been known to talk and warn people of danger. I have to admit that I'm not that warm and fuzzy about the starlings.

I love the Stellers Jays. We have a large group of ring-tailed pigeons that come. Yesterday I counted 15 on one feeder. They even stood on the backs of each other to get the sunflower seeds. We had to put a large board under neath one of the feeders so it could be a platform for the bigger birds since they had a hard time getting at the seed. Before the large birds would have to flap their wings while trying to get a sunflower seed. All the wild birds are welcome in my yard. I love them all.

No comments: