Saturday, October 26, 2013

Rick Steves

Today I was in Edmonds all day. I had a glorious time learning all about traveling in Europe. From 9 to 11 a.m. I took the workshop taught by Rick Steves, European Travel Skills.

After this was Packing Light and Right from 11:30 to 1 p.m. in the Edmonds Center for the Arts. Rick Steves presented most of this workshop and Sarah Murdoch finished to tell women how to pack light and get everything they need for 2 months in one small bag that is less than 16 pounds. Sarah weighs her clothes to pick the best things for her trips as a guide in Europe. I wanted to ask how many tops she had in her suitcase because it looked like a lot. In this one small suitcase, she had a pillow, 4 pairs of shoes, countless tops, and everything she needed to never wear the same outfit twice!

I wish I could be a travel guide but I am probably too old and too fat to be considered but it sure would be fun to see the world and to help others see the world.

I didn't sign up for the workshop on France taught by Steve Smith but I wanted to go so I asked and it was okay. I learned so much about France through the informative lecture and pictures that now I want to visit France to learn more and see all these places like Loire where there are so many castles and palaces, Honfleur, Carcassonne, and Aries. I couldn't stay to the end because I was having problems with my knee from sitting for so many hours. I just couldn't do it any longer. It was only one more half hour. I hated to leave because France is glorious.

I wanted to stay for the workshop about Italy taught by Rick Steves but I couldn't because it was too long of a day just sitting for me. I really wanted to learn about Italy.

I learned that Rick Steves has these free workshops twice a year where anyone can come and learn about traveling in Europe. It's certainly worth the time and effort to come to Edmonds. I would love to live in Edmonds. I am sure drawn to this area.

Rick Steves is masterful at speaking to groups. He would easily be a popular tenured professor at any of the major universities in this country. He's a master teacher because he blends so many disciplines and areas of knowledge and makes it so easy to understand. He has more PBS shows coming up to teach everyone about Israel and the Middle East and France.

I picked up the catalog of guided tours of Europe offered through Rick Steves Europe Through the Back Door. When you sign up for one of these small group tours, you learn so much local history, have local guides, time is saved not standing in long lines to popular spots, and you see the best of Europe efficiently. It is well worth the money and there are a variety of tours available. It sounds like you bring home life time friends when you go on one of these tours too.

Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door
130 4th Avenue North
Edmonds, Washington 98020
425-771-8303
www.ricksteves.com

No comments: