Monday, May 08, 2006

Flaxseed

Several months ago I was watching a doctor being interviewed. She was asked what one food she would take to a desert island. She said "flaxseed." I thought that was odd and wanted to know why.

When reading a magazine article listing the six essential foods, flaxseed was among the list.

Later I looked at a website listing the medicinal benefits of whole foods and learned that flaxseeds and oil are "used primarily for constipation. In cases of gastritis, colitis or other inflammations of the digestive tract. Lowers blood fat levels often associated with heart attacks and strokes. Reduces harmful blood cholesterol levels with its soluble fibers. Prevents colon and breast cancer through its rich source of lignins, a documented anti-cancer agent. Improves moods, diminishes allergies and produces healthier skin."

Then I knew why Bruce had to be airlifted off Survivor Exile Island. He forgot to bring his pouch of flaxseed.

Now I buy flaxseed in bulk at the grocery store. I grind wheat for whole wheat bread and add a few tablespoons of flaxseed into the wheat kernals for my flour to make bread.

I figure it's important to keep learning things that will help move my goal of healthy eating and weight loss forward. Now onto the next.......

No comments: