Monday, May 22, 2006

Gardening

Yesterday I planted more vegetable starts in my garden--eggplant, spaghetti squash, winter squash, and giant pumpkins that are supposed to weigh 100 pounds. I thought these pumpkins will be fun for my grandchildren.

Now I have watermelon, cantelope, lemon cucumbers, birpless cucumbers, radishes, sunflowers, tomatoes, corn, green peppers, and zucchini in my garden. The corn and sunflowers are four inches high so far.

I'm starting to have fun with my garden. I have plans to create a minigreenhouse using a metal frame with shelves and covering it with plastic. It should work great and provide the potential to start plants early.

I've always loved to garden but it's hard when we have lived in so many places. Once you invest time and effort in a garden, it's hard to leave. We are living in the 7th house that we bought. In each house, I had a garden that I loved.

Our first house was on Cullison Lane in Grants Pass. We built it new in 1976. Then we were transferred to central California and lived on Tierra Street in Arroyo Grande. After four years, we moved back to Salem and bought a house on Crown Court, then moved to the corner of Summerfield Drive and J David, and then to Burlwood Loop where we spent 13 years. After Salem we moved to Thistledown Lane in Gates where I had a greenhouse, sprinklers, and lots of faucets outdoors for automatic drip systems. I took the OSU Master Gardening course in Salem in 1999 so I would have the knowledge to garden on our one acre parcel. I loved it in this house because it had such a great view. We were at the top of the hill. I had great plans. Now in our 7th home and after five years, I'm just now starting to have fun with my garden.

Here's to a new beginning every day with plants growing in my garden................

No comments: