Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Lost 2.2 pounds this week

At Weight Watchers this morning I lost 2.2 pounds for a total of 14.4 pounds so far since I started. I'll take it. It was a great meeting today with one mother and daughter who have lost weight together. The mother received her certificate for losing 100 pounds. She has a great attitude and realizes that this is a life style change. Another woman reached goal weight today and three women received the 16 week award charm. This is an active meeting with lots of inspiration for everyone.

After the meeting I scooted on over to Timberhill to exercise. I love Timberhill Athletic Club. It has everything and is the nicest exercise facility I've seen. I did 1/2 hour on the exercise bike, 1/2 hour on the weight machines, 1 hour on the elliptical runner watching C-Span Senate coverage on Cardio Theater, and 1 hour in the pool swimming in deep water. That's pretty good! Three hours total.

So far this last week, here's my exercise schedule:
Yesterday or Tuesday: 30 minutes elliptical runner, 30 minutes exercise bike, and 30 minutes swim.
Monday: 1 hour and 20 minutes up South Mountain Road. This is an old logging road and it goes up at a steep grade.
Sunday: 1 hour elliptical runner
Saturday: 1 hour and 45 minute walk up South Mountain Road.
Friday: 15 minutes exercise bike and 15 minutes walk
Thursday: 1 1/2 hours walk
Wednesday: 1 hour elliptical and 1 hour swim

Yesterday I was checking out books at the Regional Cancer Center for research for my juvenile book manuscript, I noticed a display of healthy food choices to prevent cancer. I didn't see flaxseed on the list. The top 10 food choices listed by the Clinical Oncology Dietitian, Leanne Chiavini RD. LD.
1. Cruciferous family: broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, swiss chard, collard, and mustard greens.
2. Berries and cherries: blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, currants, raspberries, cranberries, pomegranate, and red grapes.
3. Allium family: garlic, chives, leeks, onions, shallots, scallions.
4. Carotenoid-rich foods: spinach, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, bell peppers, carrots, mangoes, guava, oranges, papayas, peaches, cantelope, nectarines.
5. Lycopene-rich foods: tomatoes, watermelon, pink grapefruit, apricots, pink guavas.
6. Mushrooms: shitake, maitake.
7. Beans and soybeans: pinto beans, black beans, lentils, soybeans.
8. Fish: salmon, tuna, mackerel, sardines, trout, herring.
9. Nuts and seeds: walnuts, almonds, cashews. Okay maybe the flaxseed is on this category. I was standing there copying down this list and I didn't read the fine print.
10. Green tea

I'm going to try to make sure I drink extra ice water this week and try to do more strength training.

No comments: