Sunday, May 28, 2006

Memorial Day

Today I put $20 in the gas tank at Safeway at $3.02 a gallon and then bought orange Asiatic lillies to remember Aaron and my parents. First I stopped in South Salem to put the orange lillies in water for Aaron with an American flag on his crypt. I miss you, Aaron every day.

As I drove by Liberty School, I saw they were going to have a talent show and I remembered how Aaron played the drums and Ben played the guitar years ago. Before that the four years in Arroyo Grande, CA where the BEST of times took place, glorious times with my children.

Then on to Portland to Willamette National Cemetery to A1755 to see my parents, John H. and Irene M. Appelgren. I miss you and wish there were still opportunities to talk to you.

It's important to remember loved ones on Memorial Day who have gone before us and show respect. Mom and Dad always visited the graves of family members and friends with flowers.

When Dad was State Commander of the VFW in Montana and Mom was State Musician, I remember sitting outside on the stoop with 10 funny books and a $1 worth of penny candy to keep me busy. Family members are always alive in your heart when you remember them.

No comments: