Thursday, May 15, 2008

Keizer

Since I visited Waldo Middle School on Saturday, I've been thinking a lot about Salem. In my 7th grade year, I went to Leslie Junior High in South Salem. In the middle of the year, my parents bought a new house in Keizer, Lot 1, Block 1 Palma Cea Villa on Delight Street. After we moved in, I rode the bus every day to Waldo Junior High.

When I went to high school, North Salem High School was soooooo big and crowded that half of the kids went early in the morning and the other half stayed for a second session until evening. In my senior year, McNary High School opened and I was part of the first graduating class in 1966.

During my last two years of high school, I worked half time at W.T. Grant Company on Liberty Street. I was department manager of three departments. My favorite was ordering for the candy department. Candy was kept in stainless steel bins. I measured out the candy, weighed it, and put it in white sacks for customers. What fun! This was my first job at $1.19 an hour.

No comments: