Sunday, May 25, 2008

Straw Bale Gardening

Yesterday, I spent time outside planting tomato plants in straw bales. I have 5 straw bales so far and I hope to get more next month. I've never tried this before. I still haven't read Rose Marie Nichols McGee's book on straw bale gardening so I decided to experiment. I read an article in the Corvallis Gazette Times about it. If this works out, I think this is going to be a permanent part of my gardening. I have the room and it's perfect to have the extra straw at the end of the season to put on my garden beds for extra mulch.

If you want to buy Rose Marie's book or get one of her garden catalogs go to Nichols Garden Nursery, 1190 NE Old Salem Road, Albany, Oregon or call 541-928-9280. I remember meeting Rose Marie at a garden club convention in the Portland area. She's also a master gardener. She's really nice and a great speaker.

To order the herbs and rare seeds catalog, go to http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/.

To read an article about straw bale culture, go to www.nicholsgardennursery.com/strawbales.htm. I can see after printing out this article and before I even read it that I planted in the wrong side of the straw bale.

No comments: