Tuesday, May 13, 2008

President Clinton

President Bill Clinton came to Corvallis yesterday to speak to a crowd at Lincoln Elementary School. I decided to go. I was in a large line wrapped around the school and didn't get to go into the auditorium. I was in a crowd of people closely packed together in the parking lot. I actually got a pretty good view and wasn't too far away. President Clinton stood on the bed of a pickup truck and at the end, I got to shake his hand as I reached over a couple of people. He spoke for close to an hour and a half.

It was nice of him to shake hands with everyone and speak to people afterwards. It meant so much to everyone. I think there were a lot of Obama supporters in the crowd. Everyone was pretty quiet for a political crowd and didn't react much one way or the other.

I proudly voted for Obama and I believe he is the best person to be President of the United States who is running.

I went to hear President Clinton because he was the President. How many chances in your life do you get to hear a President or see a President up close. I got to shake the hand of a President whose hand has shaken the hands of the leaders of the world, members of the U.S. Supreme Court, Senators, members of Congress, and people who have accomplished great goals to help our nation.

I'm struck by how superficial the election process is and how easy it is to spin the facts. It would sure help people who don't keep up with politics to have handouts of voting records, and statements with charts on voting positions and comparison guides. People get caught up in emotion and this isn't how we should be electing someone for the highest office in our nation.

No comments: