Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Big Idea

I love watching the Big Idea with Donny Deutsch. There is so much information packed in this show that is important to learn that I have to take notes. I'm glad I have Tivo so I can back it up when I can't keep up with the multi-levels of great information. It was nice to see Eric Trump. What an outstanding young man!

One big thing I'm learning is that it is important not to be too nice in business. In the last few years, this is the feedback I've received in the work place:
"You're too nice."
"You're a Miss Goody Two-Shoes."
"You care too much about doing the right thing."
"You try too hard."
"You try too hard to fit in."
"You're so enthusiastic."
"Sponge Bob"
"You're conscientious."
"You're friendly."
"You could sell anyone anything."
"You're too competitive."
"Your learning curve is phenomenal."
"Do you always smile?"
"Do you always see everything as positive?"

As a writer, I can be whatever I want. I'm working on developing a thicker skin, not smiling so much, and not being nice to just anyone who walks about. I'll be fair. I'll listen. I'm going to work hard at my writing to accomplish my goals. That's it.

No comments: