Saturday, July 26, 2008

Philip Roth

I just finished PORTNOY'S COMPLAINT by Philip Roth. Before that I read EVERYMAN by him.

I laughed. I got angry. I was shocked at some parts. Most of the time I laughed through both books. He sees people from the inside out. I'm in awe of Roth's dialogue, internal dialogue, and brute honesty. Now I'm a fan.

Here's my new favorite writing quote:
"All you have to do is sit down and work! And so I set forth--sitting down--to become a writer who is dazzling, and with no reason to believe that where my desire was altogether naked and out in the open where nothing in me need any longer to be stilled or intimidated by the wish of others; where mine was the imagination totally in charge, I could not but become exactly what I wanted." by Philip Roth in PORTNOY'S COMPLAINT on page 282.

No comments: