Friday, September 18, 2009

Acorn

I just learned about Acorn and it's work to give legal help to the poor in major cities across the country. I'm surprised at the reaction in the news right now, because of what I have witnessed by attorneys in the courtroom. Why would Democrats abandon this program that helps the poor?

I have witnessed myself in the Benton County Courthouse and the Marion County Courthouse, when I was called to be a juror, attorneys counsel crooks on how to be smarter, how to get away with it the next time. I was shocked at the time and outraged but this happens every day. Criminal attorneys always help criminals survive and work to get them out of legal trouble. This is hard to see or watch but it happens.

Just because there are attorneys who cross the line doesn't mean a great program to help the poor get the essential legal help they need, should be torn apart. Bullies seem to rule and people need help. Republicans and conservatives are working to cut off help to the poor on all fronts. It isn't right and Democrats don't seem to have the backbone to stand up and debate this issue. All people, rich and poor, have the right to legal representation. Attorneys have the potential to be great heroes and defenders of right. Acorn is a fine example of helping the poor get the help they need with volunteer attorneys.

No comments: