Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Medicine

When I was younger, I put doctors on pedestals and rarely questioned them. Now I realize that they know far less than people believe. Just because they are confident and earn the big bucks doesn't mean they have answers. Only 15% of medicine is evidence based, which means that 85% is guesswork.

I recently learned that the legal perimeters for a resident was that they couldn't work longer than 80 hours a week and couldn't work longer than a 30 hour shift. If you were in ER at a busy hospital, how would you feel about a resident making life and death decisions about you after working 70 hours that week and they were finishing a 30 hour shift?

Exercise and healthy food can heal so many problems in your body. That is my choice. I don't have health care so that is my ONLY choice. I think it is by far the safer choice.

No comments: