Friday, May 08, 2009

Linda Varsell Smith

Linda Varsell Smith read a poem during the monthly writing critique group last Tuesday for Corvallis Children's Writers. I woke up the next morning remembering the rhythm and cadence of the poem and started to create lines to one of my own. It was a poem about her mother, Honey. Linda's mother sounds a lot like Linda--encouraging, inventive, full of energy, gifted, and she enjoyed creating events to make others happy. Linda is the matriarch of writers in Corvallis who nurtures, encourages, teaches, and helps. Linda teaches life writing in Philomath at Peace Lutheran Church each term for LBCC.

I am in awe of her energy and genius. She prolifically turns out poems and is part of the Mary's Peak Poets. She probably started it. It meets in her home monthly.

Linda is Swedish and travels to Sweden often. I'm half Swedish so I enjoy hearing about Sweden from others.

No comments: