Saturday, May 09, 2009

Seaweed

I added something new to my diet this week--seaweed. When I visited my son, his wife, and my newest granddaughter in Seattle last weekend, I learned about the power of seaweed in your diet. My daughter-in-law told me that her mother started eating seaweed at the suggestion of her doctor who practices alternative medicine. After eating seaweed after a period of weeks, a growth or cyst disappeared.

I believe strongly in healing your body with natural foods, rather than taking medication from a doctor. Eating healthy food and exercising heals your body and prevents disease.

So I went to the Asian Market at 1875 9th Street in Corvallis where I regularly buy tea and bitter melon. The store wasn't open yet but I had a nice conversation with a Chinese lady who told me about the benefits of eating onion. I regularly eat a lot of onion but she said that if you drop a whole, unpeeled yellow onion in chicken soup, it cleans the blood. Chicken soup boosts your immune system and if the onion peel helps to clean your blood, I'm doing it. I made chicken soup yesterday and I dropped a whole onion in the broth. It made the broth more flavorful and I felt better just knowing it was good for me.

When the store opened, I bought fresh seaweed and roasted seaweed that people use to roll up suishi or eat as a snack. The roasted seaweed is good as a snack and I'll eat it often. I haven't tried the fresh seaweed yet but I remember my mother buying seaweed tablets from the health food store so I know I will like it, even if it takes time to get used to it.

No comments: