Friday, May 29, 2009

Tale of Despereaux

I love the animated film, the Tale of Despereaux. I first saw it on Amtrak traveling from Seattle to Albany but didn't get to catch the ending so I watched it on Pay-Per-View on Direct TV because it is outstanding.

I knew I would love the movie with the words at the beginning that said,
"Once upon a time, there was a brave little mouse who loved honor and justice, and always told the truth."

It's an outstanding film and is worth watching over and over, even if you are as old as me. I love the writing, the animation, the characters, and the story that makes you think.

It's a story about a mouse hero named Despereaux in the Kingdom of Dor. Despereaux "heard more, saw more and smelled more than any of the other mice." Everyone was concerned that Despereaux didn't scurry or cower but instead was fearless and brave.

If you listen carefully to the script, you hear words like....

"A hero doesn't appear until the world really needs one."

"What happens when you make something illegal that is a natural part of the world? You might as well make flies illegal or sweat or Monday morning."

This outstanding animated movie has an all star cast with names like Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Kline, Christopher Lloyd, Tracy Ullman, Sigourney Weaver, Charles Shaughnessy, Matthew Broderick and others.

No comments: