Sunday, June 21, 2009

Alsea Valley Voice

I volunteered to be the Editor of the Alsea Valley Voice since Rolfe Hagen is busy with other projects. I've written several newsletters in the past and I figured that this would be a way to contribute to the community and be more involved. I've been receiving mixed signals. I was told to go the ACE Board meeting and show them my writing resume and newsletters I've written so I did. When I got to the meeting, they wanted to know why I was there. I asked for five minutes to present. I showed them a notebook of two years of newsletters that I have written for the Mid-Valley Quilt Guild in Salem using Microsoft Publisher and a church newsletter along with issues of the East Salem News. I handed out my writing resume. I was told I couldn't change the integrity of the design of the newsletter. I was told that I was not allowed to have youth on staff to report. I was told that I am not allowed to report on the news in Alsea. I was told that I am not allowed to interview people for the AVV. Nothing like squeezing all the fun out of a project. Nothing can change for now. We can't go to a monthly issue. Now I wish I hadn't volunteered. I'll need to photocopy the last issue in order to cut it apart to scan in the masthead and advertising bites. Yes, I can do it but it is not with the same level of enthusiasm. I haven't received one article yet from anyone and the deadline is July 1. My husband said maybe I will have to leave space saying, "this is the space for the article that _____ didn't turn in." We'll see what happens. I did receive an e-mail from one regular writer who said she didn't have anything to write about for this issue even though July is going to be a busy month in Alsea and there might be a Blackberry Festival in September. I think some people around here in Alsea wishes I would move or fade into the woodwork never to be heard from again. One neighbor told me yesterday that maybe I would like it in New Zealand. I like to help out. I like to be involved. I enjoy being around people. I don't really enjoy lots of walls put up to prevent growth. The last newsletter I wrote was for the Corvallis Cruisers in Corvallis, the Volkswalk group. That was fun. I enjoy putting together newsletters but it is fun to have some kind of room to breathe and grow. Maybe I'm not the right person to be the Editor of the Alsea Valley Voice. There needs to be someone who will make sure nothing changes and that everyone will enjoy having as Editor.

No comments: