Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Books

Yesterday I went to the Alsea Public Library and bought some of the books for 25 cents and 50 cents. I came home with $8. worth and then went back for $3. more. I got some great books.

Yesterday I read a little book by Garrison Keillor called Truckstop and Other Lake Wobegon Stories. I've always loved Garrison Keillor. At rare moments I catch his A Prairie Home Companion on public radio. (We don't get great radio at my house and I don't have a good radio so I listen to radio in my car.) The humor and the charm of his stories about the people of Minnesota have always made me laugh and smile. In this book that I read yesterday, I loved the last story especially called Homecoming, which tells about digging up a septic tank that turns out to be an old Chevy car.

Now I am halfway through reading So Many Books, So Little Time: A year of Passionate Reading by Sara Nelson. I love her too since she also loves Nora Ephron and Philip Roth. Sara Nelson makes me want to make my own reading challenge. Sara has reminded me that the BEST friends are books.

At first I was thinking of reading a book a day since I am pretty competitive and want to do more and better but I wonder if I can really live up to that realistically. My Dad used to read a book a day. He read a western book every night and then read the Bible. He read the Bible 8 to 10 times all the way through every year. I guess my personal reading challenge depends on whether or not I finish this book today. I figure I can always read children's books since I am also a writer for children and I need to read books for children. I think two books a week is more realistic but I'd like to try for a book a day. Will I make it?

No comments: