Saturday, June 27, 2009

Consumer Beware!

Boy, did I get a consumer lesson yesterday when I went to the Safeway on Philomath Boulevard in Corvallis. My husband wanted me to get some Oscar Mayer hot dogs that were on sale in the Safeway ad listed for 2 for $3.00. The ad said assorted varieties. My husband, Leslie, also cut out a coupon that would give me $1.00 off, if I bought two packages of Oscar Mayer hot dogs. I also had a 50 cent double coupon so I was expecting to pay $1.50 for both packages of hot dogs. So I went to try to find the hot dogs in the massive store. I found the signs that said 2 for $3.00 for Oscar Mayer hot dogs. One said bun length and beef hot dogs so that is what I selected. That is all I purchased in the store. I decided to go to the check stand with the store manager since I figured with all the coupons, I didn't want any problems. I figured he would know what he was doing. I know him on sight since I have applied to work at Safeway without success when the store was remodeled and I gave him my resume personally and talked to him. When I got to the checkstand and the manager waited on me, I was shocked at the interaction. He's a tall man, a big guy who probably played football years ago. He has dark wavy, curly hair and I think his name is Jeff or Jeffrey. He scanned the hotdogs and said it was 2 for $6.00. I gave him my Safeway club card, my coupons, and said that it was 2 for $3.00. He left the cash register and said he was going to check on the price. I figured that was fine and I waited. He came back sticking to his story that the hotdogs were 2 for $6 so I said that we need to go back and look at the signage. I commented that maybe I needed to take a digital photo of the price on the shelf next time. I was treated like I had lied. He didn't treat me with respect. He's treated me like this in the past so I decided to stand up for myself. We got to the hotdog section and he pointed to the 2 for $6.00 sign for Oscar Mayer hot dogs and I pointed to the two signs that said 2 for $3.00 for Oscar Mayer hot dogs. He said it wasn't bun length so I pointed to the sign that said bun length and repeated bun length twice so he would get it into his thick skull. He took the sign off the shelf and said he would give it to me for the price but it wasn't going to happen again. He raced back to the cash register and it was hard for me to keep up. I said that I wasn't a liar and that I'm meticulous and careful. When we got back to the cash register, he said that for my trouble, he would give it to me free since I had already given him a coupon for $1.50 off. I thought that was great and I appreciated it. I was thinking of blogging it yesterday but decided not to. Today I found the cash register receipt in my purse where it said that the cash register rang it up in the first place as 2 for $3.00 so now I know he knew the price was 2 for $3.00. You have to watch all the time. He's probably a Mormon. Am I going into this Safeway again? Not if I can help it and I will be on guard every minute, if I do. If the price is posted and listed in an ad, you should be able to get it for the price without problems.

No comments: