Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Politics of Health Care

Is health care the same for everyone? NO! The rich receive the best care. If you question, have a mouth, or offend people in power, then health care becomes difficult. I need to find a doctor who cares about me, who wants to help me, who communicates clearly, and who is my health advocate. Oprah's health advocate is Dr. Michael Roizen at the Cleveland Clinic. I need someone too.

I've been going to OHSU the last few months. There are some great people who care and there are some who succumb to political pressure and others who care more about making sure the money keeps rolling in. Not all doctors communicate clearly. Not all doctors know the answers. Not all doctors and medical professionals are created equal. It's sad that today you have to be your own expert and can't trust. For $150, if you don't have health insurance, you can receive 6 months of care at OHSU so that's what I have been doing. I was told by one doctor at OHSU that "they have done enough." I still don't have some health issues addressed and I don't feel comfortable going back. One doctor asked me if my stomach hurt and seemed to think there was something major wrong but it was never checked out. Not all doctors communicate or make things clear. There are a lot nice people at OHSU and there are many smart, competent people at OHSU but it's a long drive to not receive the help I need and to receive conflicting opinions, and to receive some care that is questionable. I'm not going back. In my honest opinion, I feel I could receive better care in the European Union, Canada, or New Zealand where people are valued and the emphasis is on helping the patient and not concern about cost of care or what was said in a blog or in an article.

No comments: