Sunday, July 26, 2009

Benton County Democrats

I attended the meeting for the Benton County Democratic Central Committee on July 16th at Grace Lutheran Church. Everyone seemed nice, committed to the Democratic Party and I felt I could find friends among the group.

Dr. Paul Hochfeld spoke about single payer health care and the urgent need for health care reform. He's an emergency room physician. He was dynamic and a great speaker.

I was shocked that there wasn't an urgent feeling among the group that everyone needed to work hard for health care reform NOW! I came to get inspired and to get support regarding this important issue. I was disappointed. There seemed to be more enthusiasm and energy for the bus bingo that was going to be played on the upcoming picnic for the Democrats than in working for health care reform. Yes, it sounded like fun and I'd like to go. But what about health care reform? There is a window of opportunity to get something done. Insurance companies and health care organizations are spending over 1 1/2 million dollars a day to defeat health care and it seems like Democrats are cooperating.

I asked Oregon State University Democrat students who attended the meeting, if they were working on health care reform now, holding meetings, and if they planned on working for health care reform in Washington, D.C. They said no. Why is there such apathy? I don't get it.

No comments: