Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Quality of Health Care

I've been watching CNN this morning and heard Senator John McCain say that the problem with health care is cost and that there is no problem with the quality of health care. I respectfully disagree, Senator. This is not my experience at all.
One doctor recently told my husband that most of the health care in the United States is 50 years behind the times and that the drastic difference at John Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic is amazing because they can do in one or two days what it takes 6to 9 months to accomplish elsewhere, if at all. Too many doctors "don't know" answers. One resident recently told me at OHSU that he "doesn't read medical journals." That's great! That makes me feel comfident about his care. A resident who isn't committed to continuing his education and medical knowledge--I'm shocked and appalled. Too many doctors are incompetent and not able to help a patient but still charge an outrageous price. I was shocked that at Casey Eye Institute that the equipment to test the eyes doesn't automatically feed the results into the computers. This is backward. Technicians and doctors must hand enter the information which could cause error. I have had experience with the health care in Oregon at various clinics and hospitals and I KNOW that the care I have received shouldn't have happened to anyone in some instances. I could write a book about my experience with health care over the years and another book about my husband, which would be worse.

No comments: