Monday, July 20, 2009

Tithing

Many faithful church goers tithe monthly, giving 10% to their church. My husband and I used to do this for years. Many business leaders on FOX news, FOX business channel, the Wall Street Journal, CNN, and MSNBC say that businesses shouldn’t have to pay taxes and that they should be able to keep all their profits. These same business leaders say that single payer health care or free health care for all is wrong. These same people who want to keep all their pennies and never share feel no moral or ethical responsibility for those less fortunate. I’ve had it. This kind of sinful greed is unpardonable.

In Oregon, businesses are complaining about having to pay a tax that is 1/10th of 1% of their profits. Profit means all the loot that they get after all expenses and salaries are paid. This is the gravy. They don’t want to even let loose of 1/10th of 1%. Shameful! They should be paying 10% of their profits and paying another 10% to charity in Oregon.

Mike Huckabee who has a show on FOX on Saturday nights is a Baptist minister and doesn’t believe that there should be free health care. He’s working hard to defeat single-payer health care. He doesn’t believe that business should have to pay taxes. If I were a member of his congregation, I would put zero bucks in the collection plate.

Those in Oregon who say they shouldn’t have to pay 1/10th of 1% and who believe that there shouldn’t be free health care for all, I’d tithe 1/10th of 1% of my extra and if I didn’t have extra, I would give zero buckeroos.

Neil Cavuto who is Catholic, believes that there shouldn’t be single-payer health care and that businesses shouldn’t pay any taxes. If I were a Catholic, I’d put in the collection plate a note that says zero bucks for the church because of the moral example of Neil Cavuto.

If I were President Obama, the moral compass of this nation, I would take a look at all nonprofits that accept money and who find ways to deny they make a profit on paper. I would revoke tax exempt status of most churches and organizations.

It’s so interesting to me how so many church leaders in most churches and synagogues expect the congregations to give, give, give, even though they are having a difficult time. 10% is expected. Yet these same church leaders are not a moral example by crying out for social justice in the United States saying that single-payer health care or free health care should be law and businesses should pay 10% of their profits.

I’ve heard several people in the village where I live talk about times getting hard, like the great depression. Why don’t these business and religious leaders get off their duff and show courage, values, and moral strength by calling for what is needed. We need free health care for all and all businesses should have to pay 10% of their profits in the United States for doing business here.

I’m disillusioned. I don’t see anyone caring about anybody or feeling accountable. I’m disillusioned with churches and synagogues, and businesses who stand for GREED!

No comments: