Monday, July 27, 2009

Leadership and Self-Deception

I finished reading the book LEADERSHIP AND SELF-DECEPTION: GETTING OUT OF THE BOX by the Arbinger Institute. I have some concerns about the basic premise that asks everyone to focus on getting results and staying out of the box. I have no problem with working hard to get results and working hard to support/help those around me to achieve these objectives. However, it is important for me to work with people that I can respect, admire, learn from, and who are ethical.

The problem I have with this book is that I can see that a corrupt business could drive forward their objectives using people who focus on results. In the last several months, we have seen a myriad of examples of people who focus on driving results and someone in the organization is a crook, manipulator, and a thief. Our economy has collapsed as a result, thanks to President Bush and Republicans who stand for GREED.

No comments: