Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Global Warming

Do you believe yet? I do. Even my 97-year-old Aunt Ellen in Wolf Point, Montana believes in global warming. She's a conservative Lutheran from a small town. She's intelligent and she used to teach school.

We can't keep abusing our planet without global consequences.

Ever since I have moved to Alsea five years ago, the logging trucks have been piled high with logs coming by my house. Some trucks only have three logs to fill it up. It takes much longer the grow the trees than it takes to cut them down. I'm not against responsible timber harvesting. I know that the forests here are replanted but I wonder about other parts of the world. I wonder if too much timber is being harvested even in my area.

And what about water that's unfit to drink. The Willamette River running through Oregon is now given the label as a dead river. There are mixing zones up north of Portland where chemicals are dumped legally into the river. This water flows into the ocean. Businesses that have polluted for years still dump into rivers without consequences. Now it says in the Corvallis Gazette Times that they are finding dead crabs and other sea life floating to the surface. The AP journalist got a quote from an OSU scientist who said that pollution isn't responsible but I question it. You can't keep letting chemicals flow into rivers and the ocean without consequences detrimental to all life.

Specials fill up network schedules on global warming. There's also specials about global dimming which is responsible for reflecting sunlight back into space thereby masking global warming.

I voted for Al Gore for President. Since the election, he's been trying to make a difference about global warming. I feel strongly that we need Al Gore for President but first we need to make sure that elections reflect the vote of the people.

No comments: