Thursday, July 20, 2006

Wild Birds

My husband and I enjoy feeding the wildbirds here on our property. We have such a wide variety with several feeders available. I like to put the feeders next to the window so the birds have to come up close. I don't enjoy hunting birds down with binoculars.

We have five hummingbird feeders in two windows and I need to buy more. I saw that at John Boy's Merchantile in Alsea, there are some for sale at $4.99. That's a bargain. A wire feeder for dried corn cobs is hanging in the Redwood tree next to our house. Three suet feeders hang in the tree and near the fence post. I make about 64 suet cakes a month using Crisco shortening, wildbird seed, sunflower seed, corn, and sometimes a dab of peanut butter and oatmeal. They like it. The Stellers Jays scream at us from the White Oaks surrounding our property when the suet isn't put out fast enough. The two thistle feeders for the American Goldfinch are almost empty. We need to buy another 50# bag of black thistle for them.

It's fun to have bird friends who visit at different times of year. Across the road is a wetland that attracts birds and wildlife. I'm grateful for the wetland. Not only is it beautiful to see but it cleans the ground water.

More feeders are needed and different kinds with a variety of seeds. It can only get to be more fun watching the wildbirds here as I enjoy my garden. When I have more plants that attract butterflies, birds, and hummingbirds, it will only get better.

No comments: