Saturday, July 29, 2006

Health Care

There is a crisis in the United States. Millions of people are without any medical insurance. My husband and I are among this number.

When you are without health or dental insurance and without any savings, you start to ignore and deny symptoms. I try to treat everything with exercise, fresh air, healthy foods. When medical bills start to pile up, as in our case, you have to wait until they are paid down to continue with any further medical help.

I've been ignoring chest pains, numbness, and high blood pressure. It doesn't help that I haven't been exercising since I stopped going to the gym. It's only compounding the problems but I can't afford it and I can't afford the gas to go into Corvallis.

I got stung by a bee or hornet on my ankle four days ago. My foot is swollen and it's bright red. How do I deal with it? I took two Excedrin for the pain. I put cold compresses on it. Yesterday I plastered oatmeal all over it. I went to my medical reference book and learned that it isn't a life threatening situation unless it starts to effect the respiratory system so I'm not worried.

My husband went to a clinic in Eugene months ago for help. I thought this was a great idea because the clinic was set up to help people without insurance. He was seen by a doctor. A whopping bill of $400, no answers or help. The doctor wanted him to come back. My husband insisted that he talk to him over the phone to avoid another big bill. The doctor admitted that he didn't have any answers on the phone.

Now he went for blood tests at the clinic in Benton County in Corvallis for over $200 and they won't give him the results without the $20 bucks for a visit. They said that the price was discounted 50%. He made two phone calls so far to try to get them to tell him the results over the phone.

Millions of dollars are being funneled into Oregon from the federal government to help people without insurance. It's going for buildings, salaries, and discounted care. We can't afford discounted care on a fixed income.

Dental care is another crisis. You can afford to have great teeth, if you have insurance and money. The last time I was at the dentist, he was aware that I have a chip in my front tooth that needs to be filled. He let me walk away without taking care of it. I can't afford to go back until the bill is paid down.

About three years ago I started to pour out my heart to someone who works with the homeless. I thought she would have compassion, would listen, and care. I was wrong. She said, "No one cares. No one wants to listen." So you learn to shut up, deny feelings, deny medical problems, and do the best you can with what you have.

So many people are left without adequate medical help and care. It shows that people aren't valued. It shows that there is a lack of compassion. It shows that money gets you the care you need.

No comments: