Thursday, July 20, 2006

My Garden

My garden is growing by leaps and bounds. Each day I see new growth. Now with the hot weather today through the weekend, it should take off.

My corn patch is over my head and new little corns are developing. The sunflowers are high over the corn. I planted the broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and peas in the shade of the sunflowers and corn so they wouldn't bolt or go to seed. I have thirteen tomato plants with lots of little green tomatoes on the vines. I'm looking forward to eating tomatoes as I walk through the garden. The spinach is almost done for. I need to plant a new row. The beets and carrots are hidden under the spaghetti squash. I have romaine lettuce ready to pick and head lettuce almost ready. This is the first time I've grown head lettuce so this was fun. I have a giant pumpkin plant developing little pumpkins and I look forward to seeing what will happen. They are supposed to weigh 100 pounds. I have little green peppers developing and cucumbers.

I'm already eating the broccoli and zucchini. The bok choy is already gone and was great in stir fry. I've enjoyed munching on spinach when I go out to water in the morning. The lettuce is ready and I've been giving some away to neighbors.

This is the most fun in the garden I've had since we moved here five years ago. It took me a long time to adjust to living out in the middle of no where but I genuinely am having fun on our 3.68 acres now. I have no intention of ever moving away. It's precious to have land that's quiet and beautiful. I plan on growing grapes, kiwi, raspberries, more blueberries, and much more. It's fun to be able to eat fresh and healthy food grown in your garden. It's also practical since we don't have savings or any insurance.

Right now choices are limited about what I can do but I do love my mornings out in the garden in Alsea.

No comments: