Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Garden

I'm not having any luck trying to download photos to my blog this evening so I will tell you about my garden, rather than show you.

I have corn taller than me. I crowded the rows so I would have lots of it. My favorite foods are corn on the cob and watermelon and I planted both. I'm not sure how the watermelon is going to do this year though. I also have pumpkin, different kinds of squash, cucumbers, Swiss chard, tomatoes, bell peppers, peas, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, eggplant, carrots, and lots of other stuff. The apple tree is loaded. This spring we planted several dwarf cherry, pear, and peach trees plus blueberries, raspberries, and table grapes. We have an acre in garden, but not all the space is used this year. Next year I have bigger plans. We have 2 1/2 acres in trees. Next year I want to plant pecan and walnut trees plus more blueberries, thornless blackberries, raspberries, table grapes.

I want to make sure that we have lots of food growing since we live so far from Corvallis [45 minutes away or 25 miles], gas prices are high, and it's fun to grow your own food. Plus I don't want to starve since I'm not working anymore. My husband told me that all the money was gone at the 4th of the month. I found out later that he was holding back a little. All this is making me food insecure. My answer? Grow lots of food and write every day.

No comments: