Saturday, August 09, 2008

Roller Skating and the Olympics

This is an old photo I found. I used to love to roller skate. This is a photo of me and my roller skating dance partner.

I was looking at the Beijing Olympics and the event was beach volleyball. There are so many Olympic events these days. I remember when I was in junior high or middle school that they were talking about roller skating being added to the list of events to participate in the Olympics but it didn't happen. I don't understand why. I was very disappointed. I used to spend weekends and some evenings during the last part of elementary school and junior high at a roller rink in Salem, Oregon. I started to enter regional competitions and won the first medal for free style and two medals for dance. I loved it. I especially loved dance. The free style test for the first medal was very easy--just 3-turns and simple twirling or spins, nothing fancy or complicated. The dance was so much fun. I used to read the correography in a book that had diagrams for the dances that we had to learn. The testing was at The Oaks Roller Rink in Portland for the regional event. Some of the dances had 3-turns in them and you had to go backwards and turn in addition to doing different moves with your feet. It was a challenge and I loved it.

If ice skating is an Olympic event and ribbon twirling is an Olympic event, WHY in the world isn't roller skating an Olympic event? It's such a wonderful outlet for young people. It's great to have competition. It's wonderful to work for medals and ribbons. It's great exercise. It's easier to build roller skating rinks than ice rinks. It includes more kids. It's a much harder sport than ribbon twirling.

For the sake of young people everywhere, why don't you please reconsider allowing roller skating to be an Olympic event? I've always thought how much fun it would be to own a roller rink. I'd skate most of the day. I would be skinny and happy, but then I sure wouldn't get many novels written. Oh, I know....I could skate for three or four hours every day and then write my novels.

No comments: