Monday, August 25, 2008

Senator Edward Kennedy

Tears streamed down my face as Senator Ted Kennedy spoke tonight at the Democratic National Convention. I've always admired Senator Kennedy and the Kennedy family for all they have stood for and what they have done to serve our country. His speech was powerful, just as powerful as I have seen him over the years on C-Span in the senate fighting for this cause and that cause to help people in need. The Kennedy's could easily have sat back and enjoyed their money. In spite of tragedy, they have chosen to put themselves out there to make our nation better and to help all people.

I admire Senator Edward Kennedy. One of the reasons why I will always love him is because he wrote to my son, Aaron and sent a photograph. Aaron sent him a Valentine one year when he was young. Senator Kennedy took the time to personally sign a photo of himself and send a letter to Aaron. I will always treasure the photograph.

The Kennedy family has always been in a high place in my list. When I started my homeschool and created the curriculum, I thought of Mrs. Rose Kennedy. I thought of the Kennedy children who were given the best of everything in life and went to Choate. I felt my children were also the best and I tried to figure out what the Kennedy children would learn within the Kennedy family and at Choate. I tried to pattern my curriculum after what I felt the very best and privileged children in this country, like the Kennedys, would learn in school.

Senator Edward Kennedy came to the Democratic Convention despite severe health issues. He came to serve, to unite the party, to tell about his admiration and support of Barack Obama. His speech was powerful. Senator Kennedy will always be one of my heroes. I wish I could learn at his feet and at the feet of people like him. I am humbled by his service and his life, as I am of all the Kennedy family members.

No comments: