Thursday, August 14, 2008

Richmond Elementary School

This photo was taken at Richmond Elementary School in Salem, Oregon. I'm the blonde in the middle. On the far right is Dennis Blanchard. On the far left is Corrine Craft standing next to Sue Crothers. Corrine died. Her best friend was Sylvia who owns the Quilted Forest on Commercial Street in downtown Salem.

I've known Sue Crothers since the 4th grade. I remember being invited to her house one weekend for a barbeque. Her father is a doctor and had the most amazing library. I was so impressed with the library with floor to ceiling bookcases on all sides of the large room. I've always wanted a huge library. Years later when I talked to Sue, she said that one thing that she always remembered about me is that I always had lots of pencils and paper when I was in school. That's still true.

I haven't seen or talked to anyone in a long time.

What was great about Richmond Elementary School was that Matilda Gillis was the Principal who was also one of the editorial advisory board members of Highlights Magazine for Children. My Mom always subscribed to Highlights for me to read.

It was during this time period when I used to write screenplays. I would write television scripts for the show, Gunsmoke.

No comments: