Monday, July 09, 2012

Seattle Bridge Club

When I first moved to Seattle, I created a notebook. I searched for things that I wanted to find here. One of the things I wanted to find was bridge. I've never played bridge or been around it but I knew it would be fun. One day when I was shopping at the Dollar Tree on 15th, north of Northgate by QFC, I saw the Seattle Bridge Club with plenty of small tables and chairs. It looked like a great place to me and I wanted to find out all about it so I called up and asked. On Monday nights, Nick Tipton teaches beginning bridge lessons starting at 7 p.m. He's a great teacher, brilliant, and a nice person. I'm finding out that bridge has so many layers and takes effort to learn. In order to "get it" I need to read about it, spend time playing, and take lessons. Those who are great at bridge participate in tournaments around the country and the world. Sounds great to me and a lot of intellectual, challenging fun. I don't have a beginning group to play with. I haven't been diligent about reading about bridge. I find that in order to start playing, you have to have a certain level of knowledge and need to be accountable to everyone at the table, especially your partner. The people in the class all seem very nice, potential friends. I'm not giving up. I must try harder to learn and spend more time reading about it. I hope that I find a group to play with every week. I wanted my son, Ben, to be my partner because he's a card counter and so smart but he turned me down. He doesn't have time. Maybe eventually, I'll be playing and confident in my skills to play.

No comments: