Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Seattle Symphony Orchestra playing Edward Elgar's Enigma Variations, Op. 36

I went to hear the Seattle Symphony Orchestra today.  It was glorious as always. The music was composed by Edward Elgar. I had never heard of him before. He was from England and died in 1934. It was a surprise to learn that he may be one of my favorite composers.

I knew that I would love the conductor before he even set forth on stage because he was recently appointed the Chief Conductor to Sweden’s Norrkoping Symphony Orchestra. I love Sweden and wish I could live there or Norway or Finland. Both my grandparents on my father’s side were born in Sweden. When the conductor, Michael Francis showed his talent, I was in awe at the intensity and feeling that he displayed.

The symphony played was Enigma Variations, Op. 36. In learning about Edward Elgar at the beginning it touched me that he questioned whether to write music or whether he was good enough since I loved his music and since I am always questioning whether I should write or give it up. If I were to use one word to describe Elgar's music, it would be comforting. It was comforting, dramatic, and emotional. He deliberately used music to interpret and describe the people he knew and his environment. It is a novel made using musical instruments, and different levels of intensity for color and texture using music. 

No comments: