Tuesday, August 13, 2013

100% Silk

Yesterday I was working from 9 to 4:30 at Joann Fabrics in Shoreline. I was asked which thread is the strongest. Without hesitation, I answered 100% silk. The woman looked surprised. Some say silk thread is as strong as steel. If you want an applique quilt to last, you use 100% silk thread.

It says on the 100% silk fabric that we sell that you must dry clean but I have learned that if you wash the fabric before cutting, you can wash the garment after it is made. When you wash it the first time, it will shrink an average of 5 inches a yard. An added benefit is that it will not wrinkle.

Silk thread fiber is so strong that it has lasted over 4000 years in tombs. Silk is strong.

My husband and I traveled to Hong Kong twice in the early 90's. He had a tux made by a tailor and I had a dress made of silk.

Polyester burns. 100% silk doesn't burn. Silk is a natural fiber that is worth the money. It's beautiful.

No comments: