Thursday, December 06, 2012

Zoos

There is a series of feature articles being written in the Seattle Times about zoos. I have great deal of respect for the Seattle Times and I know as a writer that they are printing fact. I have no doubt that this is going to win another Pulitzer Prize for the paper.

However, I love and support zoos. I will always support zoos despite some imperfections. Children and adults who visit wouldn't be able to see the diversity of animals from all over the world without zoos. So many species are being threatened in their native habitat. National Geographic recently published that 25,000 elephants are being slaughtered every year for their ivory. The elephants in zoos are safe from being slaughtered. Zoos take care of them. I know that zoos are working together around the world to protect animals. I applaud their efforts. I know it isn't easy. Zoos help people appreciate and value animals by bringing them up close to those who visit. The wonder of seeing animals up close forces visitors not to forget them. The animals are a reminder that they are valuable and important in the world and we should value them, respect them, protect them, and take care of them in the world. Zoos do so much to educate the public. It is wonderful to be able to learn about raptors while watching them fly.

I need to visit the Woodland Park Zoo more often. I am a member. Everyone should be a member of the zoo in their area and visit often. If more people supported their zoos around the world, they would not have to struggle financially. All animals are precious. To look at a Siberian tiger and not appreciate it's glorious beauty is unconscionable. We must all want to protect animals around the world who are being threatened. We live in this world together. Our lives are woven together.




No comments: