Wednesday, November 07, 2012

nanowrimo.org


So my word count right now is 11,775 words. So far so good. I'm keeping up. I wish I had plotted the novel but sometimes it is fun to just let it unfold to see what happens. Then it becomes an adventure and you discover things along the way that you hadn't anticipated.

I've completed the challenge of National Novel Writing Month to write the first draft of a novel in the month of November in 2006 and 2008. Both times I haven't planned or plotted and I was surprised and happy with the result.

Stephen King recommends writing and letting it carry you on an unexpected adventure. He's a master writer. He used to be a high school English teacher. I have his book, ON WRITING, and I have read a lot of his books. He's the second highest paid writer in this country after James Patterson, followed by Janet Evanovich. All three are great writers and obviously everyone agrees because everyone reads and buys every book they write.

We'll see what happens. I'm grateful to be part of this challenge this year. It makes me feel like I belong to something great and much bigger than myself. There are sure a lot of talented and gifted writers participating. I was looking at some of the cover art and novel summaries. It looks like there are going to be best sellers among those who finish. How exciting!

Chris Baty who started National Novel Writing Month in 1999 is a hero. He has the whole world writing novels.

No comments: