Monday, June 17, 2013

Aqua Cycling

This April in New York City a studio offered aqua cycling in their four foot pool. This is a great idea. I wonder what the bikes are like. They are stationary bikes and since they are submerged in water, the workout is much easier than a spinning class at a gym. Wow! I wonder if it is easier to sit on the seat when you are in the water. That's my biggest problem with spinning classes is the small seat that hurts after three minutes into the class. I bet this class is going to take off. It's a great idea. Aqua cycling started in Europe in the 90's.

Dr. Alexis Colvin, an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine at Mount Sinai in NYC says, "spinning is a great way to strengthen muscles without impact." He also says that, "Like regular cycling, it strengthens muscles without putting stress on the joints, and proponents suggest that the motion of the water 'massaging' your legs as you pedal makes your muscles less sore post-workout."

This class burns 600 calories. I haven't heard about it until today when I opened the page in Marie Claire. At Aquatics Is, Inc., in Downington, Pennsylvania, aqua-spinning classes have been popular for years!

When are they going to start aqua cycling in Seattle?

Where did I hear about this?
Marie Claire
July 2013
page 162
"Rinse Cycle"
by Jennifer Goldstein

No comments: