Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Planned Parenthood

This afternoon when I was walking toward the Crab Pot for lunch with my son, there were young people talking to people about Planned Parenthood. One man in a car that went past made an offensive gesture with his hand out the window.

This is my story regarding Planned Parenthood. I am grateful for Planned Parenthood and support what they are doing to protect and help women.

Around 1991 or 1992, I went to a doctor who was expensive in a great neighborhood in South Salem. I asked him to check on a lump that I found in my breast. He said, "Don't worry about it. It's just a cyst." He didn't check. I didn't worry because I trusted doctors and thought they knew everything.

In June of 1993, I had an appointment with Planned Parenthood in Salem and was checked. They found a large lump. It was over an inch in diameter. Dr. Van Rozlen was the surgeon who did the lumpectomy. He went in twice to make sure that the margins were clean. I didn't have to have radiation or chemotherapy but it was cancer. I was promised by the Helen G. Komen Foundation that I would be followed each year but they stopped helping me over 10 years ago. Thank you very much!

I am a cancer survivor since June of 1993. I exist. I am healthy. It was Planned Parenthood who helped me! They help women and they need to be protected.

No comments: